Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year's resolution and some olive oil granola

So I have been very, very bad at posting all fall.  As in, no posts.  Well, guess what my New Year's resolution is?  You guessed it, to post more!  I know it's the same resolution I made last year, but I'm going to go for it again.  If all goes to plan, I will post consistently every Monday.

So, with that said, I found a fantastic granola recipe that I love.  I found it at the kitchn, where they reviewed it over a year ago.  It was originally published in the New York Times.  The link is http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/recipe-review/watch-out-dangerously-addictive-olive-oil-granola-recipe-review-092132  If you follow this link, it will lead you to the original recipe.


This granola uses pistachios, raw pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, and cinnamon and cardamom.  I was going to include dried blueberries, but decided at the last minute to leave them out.  I'm glad I did.  This granola is fantastic, free of dried fruit.


The resulting granola was full of delicious chunks, caramelized, nutty, and cardamom-y.


I made a few modifications from the recipe, due to what I had on hand.  It calls for raw pistachios, but I only had roasted/salted.  They worked fine.  I also didn't have any dried apricots, and thus included no dried fruit.  I had dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar, but I think that just lended itself to the caramelized finish at the end.  Finally, I lined my baking sheet with parchment, which made transferring the granola to a jar that much easier.

I took this granola to work this morning for a co-worker's birthday.  I also brought some ricotta and fresh blueberries to serve with it.  Yum!  I will be making this one again for sure!

No comments: