Sunday, January 15, 2012

Eating Through the Pantry



January is a time for reflection, setting goals, and starting anew.  I, of course, have made a multitude of New Year's Resolutions, one of which is to eat through the pantry this month.  My plan is to cook and eat my way through all the remaining non-perishables I have in my house before replacing or upgrading them.




These pictures were taken several months ago, so I don't currently have everything pictured (although sadly I still have a lot of it).  In the crazy last few months I've had with getting married and adjusting to a new routine of living with somebody else, there simple has not been as much effort put toward cooking as I would typically exert.




Eating through the pantry serves several purposes.  Not only is it a way to clear out the cupboards and make room for the new, but it is also a way to spur creativity and resourcefulness.  It pushes you to be more creative and mindful of what you have on hand.  It will also (hopefully) help us to save money.  My goal for the next couple months is to make weekly meal plans based on what is in the cupboards.  I will, of course, include fresh ingredients.  My challenge will be to purchase only enough for the meals I plan to make.  I am going to try not to buy new canned goods as much as possible, unless they are called for in a recipe that uses a substantial amount of stuff I already have.

We'll see how it goes!  To read more on eating through the pantry, see this post on The Kitchn (one of my favorite blogs).

No comments: