Monday, November 2, 2009

What I ate last week

Molasses Bread

I made this in the bread machine with a recipe from allrecipes.com. It has a hint of molasses flavor, so it's a little sweet. I offset the sweetness with an olive-pepper spread I had from Trader Joe's.



Pumpkin Coconut Bread
(adapted from a recipe from Coconut and Lime)

This bread has canned pumpkin and coconut milk in it. There are no spices or vanilla or anything in it, just the coconut milk and the pumpkin. I used unsweetened coconut flakes in it too, and sprinkled coconut and pepitas on top before baking. This bread was light and delicious. I took it to work to share with my co-workers, and everybody loved it.


Chicken and Dumplings

I looked at a few recipes before I made this, then just made up my own. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and boiled them whole in 6 C chicken stock. Then I added chopped onion, garlic, and carrots, and then when the meat was cooked through, I took it out and pulled it apart and returned it to the pot. Then I added a couple cans of cream of celery soup and stirred that in. I let that come to a boil. At this point I had meant to add some frozen peas, but I forgot about them. In the meantime, I mixed up some biscuits (just Bisquick and milk). I reduced the heat and added the biscuit dough in drops. I added a little chopped rosemary to the soup and the biscuit dough, just because I had some to use. Then I covered the pot for a few minutes, and when the biscuits were cooked through (I checked with a fork), it was ready to eat! Seasoned with salt. Delicious. And even better the next day - thicker and a little saltier tasting.


No comments: